Moving with your family

Visas for your spouse and children

Spouses and minor children of a “researcher-talent passport” VLS holder, qualify for the simplified “accompanying family” procedure.

If your family members are not in France yet, their request can be addressed to the French Consulate of their country of residency. If your family members are already in France, your spouse will need to submit their request to the Préfecture of their place of residency. Your minor children will not be needing a residence permit until they reach the age of majority.

A visa will not be required if your spouse and children are from a country within the European Union, Switzerland or the European Economic Area.

Children and spouses who are not from the E.U will need a long stay D visa with the mention “Passeport Talent Famille”. The request has to be made by the scientist two months before departure or at the same time as the request of their own visa at the closest Prefecture of their place of residence. Once in France, the scientist will need to request a circulation document for minor children (DCEM). The documents will need to be sent to the Prefecture des Alpes Maritimes by post.

The “researcher-talent passport” VLS will allow the holder’s spouse to work in France.

The validation of the long stay visa “Passeport Talent – Familly” can be done online:


In France, school is mandatory for all children aged 6 to 16. The Ministry of Education defines France’s national educational curriculum. The school year lasts 10 months. It begins in early September and ends in late June or early July.

Many schools offer international school programs to enable children of any nationality to be taught within the French education system by offering them bilingual education.
At age 3, children attend Kindergarten (Maternelle). At 6 they attend Elementary School (Ecole Primaire, from “CP” to “CM2”).

Junior High School (Collège) starts from sixth grade until ninth grade, at the end of which students pass the exam “Brevet des Collèges” to access Senior High School (Lycée) and start their orientation program (Literature (L), Economics & Social Sciences (ES), Science (S), or Technology). Senior High School lasts 3 years. The “première” and “terminale” grades lead to the baccalaureate examination. The baccalaureate tests the knowledge and skills acquired by students by the end of their high-school years and is the first higher-education qualification.

Below is the list of schools with international programs on the Côte d’Azur :

  • Ecole bilingue Montessori de Nice
  • Ecole internationale bilingue « le Pain d’Epice » à Nice
  • Ecole primaire des « Trois Collines » à Mougins
  • Ecole élémentaire « Sartoux » à Mouans-Sartoux
  • Ecole bilingue Montessori « Jardins des Soleils » à Grasse
  • Collège-lycée international bilingue Lafayette à Nice
  • Ecole Montessori « La Fontaine » à Cagnes-sur-Mer
  • Ecole Montessori « Les Colibris » à Biot
  • Le Centre International de Valbonne à Sophia Antipolis
  • Le Collège l’Eganaude à Biot – Sophia Antipolis
  • Collège Niki de Saint Phalle à Biot – Sophia Antipolis
  • Collège César à Roquefort-les-Pins
  • Collège Vernier à Nice
  • Ebica International School Academy and Campus à Valbonne
  • L’Ecole Internationale de Nice
  • Le Lycée Massena à Nice
  • L’ABC School à Nice
  • La Mougins School
  • L’Ecole Montessori Les Pouces Verts à Mougins
  • Ecole internationale bilingue « Le Pain de Sucre » à Cagnes sur Mer
  • Ecole internationale bilingue « Pain de Sucre III » à Pégomas
  • L’Institut Stanislas à Cannes
  • Le Lycée Fénelon à Grasse

French lessons

If you are planning to stay in France, you can register for French lessons. There are many certified training centers on the Côte d’Azur. Depending on the center, you can choose from a range of programs: individual lessons, collective lessons, at home, intensive, semi-intensive… Also depending on your personal and/or professional project, you can pass certifying exams:

DILF : « Diplôme initial de langue française »
For beginners and newcomers in France
Level : A1.1

DELF – « Diplôme d’études en Langue Française »
For everyone
Level : A1-A2-B1-B2

DALF – « Diplôme approfondi de langue française »
For adults attending university or working
Levels : C1-C2

These diplomas are delivered by the French Ministry of Education and higher Education. They are independent, valid without any time limit and internationally recognized.

According to the March 7th, 2016 Law, foreigners wishing to permanently live in France and receiving a residence permit must prove that they hold an A2 level (written and oral).

To request the French nationality, you must hold at least a B1 level in French oral knowledge.

Among the available training centers in the Alpes-Maritimes :

  • The « Alliance Française de Nice »
  • The « Institut International d’Antibes »
  • Azur Lingua in Nice
  • France Langue Nice
  • Alpha.B
  • International House Nice

Furthermore, the Welcome Center of UCA is partner with two schools with the Qualité FLE certification. Study programs are reserved for researchers / master students / doctoral students and spouses.

The first partner school offers scientists / PhDs and their spouses registration fees, as well as preferential prices for spouses. The 1st program costs 20€/week per student. The second program provides 10 lessons/week per student at the end of the day (schedule to be determined). It is adapted for people working full time and costs 110€/week per student.

The second partner school offers a 12% discount on each chosen formula (also available for the spouse). Formulas range from 4.5h/week for 2 weeks at 110€ per student to 2 weeks at 515€ per student.

For further information:

Find out more about all structures on the French Riviera below.