Visas and entry requirements for foreign students

For foreign students

Are you moving to France for your studies? You will need to follow several administrative steps to prepare your stay. Whether you are a free-mover or following an exchange program, the legal steps are the same.

A visa is not required if you are from the European Union or the European or Swiss Economic Area. Yet, a visa is required if it is not the case.

There are several visas in France. The visa VLS-TS (Long Séjour Valant Titre de Séjour or long-stay visa) allows to study in a French university for at least 4 months and 12 months at most. This long-stay visa can be renewed if the visa holder applies for a resident permit two months before the visa expires.

Find out more about the steps to follow to get your visa and study in France.